It is soup season and I could not be happier about it. What is more comforting than cozying up to a warm bowl of soup? I am so excited to start sharing soup recipes with all of you! First up is a vegan tortilla soup recipe. This recipe is a go-to because it is easy and loved by all of my family members. Plus I almost always have all of the ingredients on hand.
The other soup we often make, with similar ingredients, is taco soup. Don’t worry, I will be sharing the recipe for that one soon as well. I mention it here because they are so similar that people often don’t realize they are different! Taco soup is thick and hearty, similar to chili. It is made with seasoning closer to taco seasoning. Tortilla soup is more brothy and tends to be a little spicier. I like to add the same toppings to both though!
One of my favorite things about this soup is that it is so filling. When I eat it I feel satisfied until my next meal. And usually, my next meal is another bowl of the soup!
This recipe makes about 4 servings. But I like to make a big batch because it is easy to make and stores so well as leftovers. You can keep it in the fridge or in the freezer.
How to Make:
Making this soup couldn’t be easier. The hardest part is chopping up the vegetables. You can throw the onions, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapenos in the pot to saute at the same time. Once the onions are translucent and everything is fragrant, throw everything else in but the citrus! Now just let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Right before serving squeeze in your lemon or lime juice to round out the flavors and you are done.
My favorite way to eat this soup is to top it with avocado and chips. You can go the more traditional route and use tortilla strips but I’m usually too lazy and I always have tortilla chips around. Sometimes I also like to put a little dairy-free yogurt on top as a sub for sour cream. And if you are feeling really fancy you can add some fresh cilantro as a garnish.
- Don’t put the lemon or lime juice in until the very end. If you cook it with the soup it will likely turn bitter and lose the brightness you are trying to add.
- You can freeze whole jalapenos and just grate them into your soup when you are ready to use them. That way you don’t always have to worry about having fresh ones on hand.
- To store, let the soup come to room temperature, but don’t let it sit out for more than an hour or two. We don’t want to have to worry about bacteria! No need to worry if it is still a little warm when you are ready to put it in the fridge. Especially if you divide it up.
- I usually divide my soup into smaller separate containers. This helps it to cool down faster and is easier to pull out when you are ready to eat it. You can keep it in the fridge for 4-6 days or in the freezer for up to six months.
Tortilla Soup Recipe
- ½ onion diced
- ½ bell pepper any color diced
- 2 jalapeños minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes 14 oz
- 2 cans black beans
- 1 cup corn
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth
- ⅔ cup soy milk or other plant milk
- juice from ½ lime or lemon
- lime wedges
- plant-based yogurt or sour cream
- plant-based cheese
- tortilla chips or tortilla strips
- Saute the onion, bell pepper, jalepeno pepper, and garlic in oil or water until onion is fragrant and translucent. Season with salt and pepper to taste while sauteeing.
- Add the spices and saute for another minute.
- Add beans, corn, tomatoes, and broth and simmer for 10-15 minutes
- Add milk and lime juice.
- Serve with desired toppings and enjoy!
- I like to use the fire diced tomatoes but you could also use regular diced tomatoes or the kind with green chilies.
- This soup is extremely forgiving so feel free to play around with it!
If you like this recipe make sure to share it with a friend!
Yum! I am loving this tortilla soup! It was so easy to make and delicious!
This is such a fantastic recipe. I used Tofutti sour cream and Lisanatti almond cheese for this, and it was absolutely great. The whole family loved it the soup!
This soup is so delicious and satisfying! Next time I'm going to make a bigger batch so we have more leftovers!
Loving this tortilla soup! I am planning to make a big batch again for Cinco de Mayo, for all my Mexican friends at home!
a lot great flavours and textures. soup is always good idea
my kid of soup! so tasty and warming!
Oh this soup recipe is just incredible! I Already want to make it again!