This creamy cowboy caviar is a delicious twist on a classic recipe. The creaminess comes from a tahini dressing that is a breeze to make. It is a great appetizer to share with a crowd or turn into a weeknight dinner!
WHY YOU'LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
This is a delicious and easy appetizer to serve at a party! And you can make it ahead so you don't have to stress right before your event.
The best thing about this recipe is how versatile it is. Not only is it a delicious dip, but it can also be mixed in with rice or quinoa, served over salad, or mixed in with macaroni noodles. And since it keeps well in the fridge, you can try it more than one way!
The dressing is based on my tahini chipotle ranch. It is one of my favorite dressings for a taco salad!
Tahini is used as the base in the dressing but you could also use cashew butter and it would still be delicious.
I love the taste of the nutritional yeast in this recipe. But if it's not your thing or you don’t have any on hand you can leave it out and your dip will still be delicious!
I use a medium spicy salsa from Costco that we like. You can use whatever your favorite salsa is! Try to use one that isn't too chunky.
There is dry ranch seasoning in the dressing. If you would like to make your own that is dairy-free, check out my vegan ranch seasoning recipe!
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY COWBOY CAVIAR
It is so easy to put this dip together. Cut up your veggies, whip up your dressing and mix everything together!
Add in the avocado after everything else is mixed together and gently stir it in.
Transfer to a clean bowl if you are serving guests.
Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!
If you like things a little spicy, our favorite way to eat this is with chipotle tabasco drizzled on top. It’s the best!
This dip stores well so you can easily make it in advance!
If you opt to use frozen corn, put it in a bowl with warm water while you prepare everything else. Then just drain it and mix it right in!
I don’t like the avocado to get mushy so I stir it in gently after everything else. This way it stays nice and chunky!
Put your dip in an airtight container and keep it in the fridge.
It will last 4-5 days in the fridge.
You can freeze the dip in an airtight container. Or portion it into Ziploc bags. Note that the texture might be a little different after it is thawed. I would recommend serving it mixed in with rice or noodles. Yum!
I like to mix everything up and then transfer it to a clean bowl. Then I top it with some cilantro to garnish.
This dip is delicious with tortilla chips as an appetizer. We also like to mix it in with rice, quinoa, or macaroni noodles. Yum!
Creamy Cowboy Caviar
- 1 can black beans (or 1 ½ cups cooked beans)
- 1 ½ cups corn canned or frozen
- ½ onion diced
- 2 avocados diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro for garnish optional
For The Sauce
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or juice from half a lemon
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon dry ranch seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ¾ cup salsa
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Mix the sauce ingredients together.¼ cup tahini, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 tablespoon maple syrup, 1 teaspoon dry ranch seasoning, ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder, ¾ cup salsa, 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Mix the rest of the ingredients together except for the avocado.1 can black beans, 1 ½ cups corn, ½ onion, 1 cup grape tomatoes, 1 red bell pepper
- Pour the sauce over the rest of the ingredients and mix together.
- Gently stir in the avocado.2 avocados
- Garnish with cilantro.1 teaspoon chopped cilantro for garnish
- I don't use cilantro unless I already have it on hand. The dip is delicious either way.
- I mix in the avocados last so that they maintain their shape better.
- You can use bigger tomatoes but I like the way the small ones hold their shape and the texture they give to the dip.