Honey mustard is a favorite in our home! We have tried so many variations and frankly, we love them all. But this is my personal favorite way to make it. Just a few simple ingredients come together to make a delicious dressing!
We love to use this as a salad dressing, as a dip for potatoes or veggies, on pasta salad, or as a great dipping sauce for vegan nuggets and sweet potato fries! Yum.
If you are looking for some other delicious dressings to try check out my lemon herb tahini or my vegan poppy seed dressing or my vegan ranch dressing!
- Mustard - We usually use dijon but regular yellow mustard also works! You can even try a fancy mustard if you are feeling up for it. There is no wrong answer here.
- Vegan Honey - if you want the honey flavor without using real honey, you can find vegan honey in many health food stores. We often use real maple syrup instead and we love it both ways. You could even use agave nectar if you are in a pinch. Use whatever you have on hand.
- Dairy-Free Yogurt - Although not crucial, we love adding this to our dressing for the extra creaminess. I usually use Forager’s cashew yogurt because it has a neutral flavor. I wouldn’t suggest using coconut yogurt because it would alter the flavor of the recipe.
- Nutritional Yeast - If you do not like to use nutritional yeast you can leave it out. I love the flavor and richness that it adds. My favorite brand is from Sari Foods on Amazon.
- Fresh Lemon Juice - you could also use white wine vinegar, white vinegar, or lemon juice concentrate.
- Cayenne Pepper - Just a pinch helps round the dressing out without making it too spicy. If you need to leave it out or want to add more, do your thing!
For exact amounts and additional spices see the recipe card below.
The hardest part of this recipe is gathering all of your ingredients. Once that is done, all you need to do is measure them into a small bowl and mix them up!
Now you are left with a delicious and creamy dressing that you can use any way that you see fit!
You are welcome to change up the ingredients however you see fit. But you don’t need my permission! If you are wanting to get more comfortable in the kitchen with homemade dressings, check out my guide here.
Hint: The most important components of this dressing are the mustard and the sweetener. I will often just mix mustard and maple syrup and pour it on my salad. It’s delicious! But if you have a minute more, give the whole recipe a try!
This dressing will last in the fridge for about 5 days. Store leftover dressing in a sealed container, like a mason jar, and stir it when you are ready to use it. This would also be a great recipe for meal prep.
Vegan honey is usually some type of neutral sweetener, like coconut nectar, combined with flower pollen to give it a similar taste to real honey.
Many honey mustard recipes call for mayo, but you do not have to have mayo to make it. Here we used cashew yogurt for the creaminess and tangy flavor. Yum! Of course, you could always try a vegan mayo if that is your jam!
Because there is no mayo, this is an oil-free salad dressing. However, there is still a little fat from the yogurt. If you need to leave it out to make it more low-fat, feel free to. It just won't be as creamy.
Technically honey is not a vegan food because it is produced by bees and vegans by definition do not eat animal products. But there are many people who eat a predominantly vegan diet and still consume honey. It is up to you to decide what you are comfortable with. If you choose not to eat honey, you can use a vegan honey alternative, or another liquid sweetener such as pure maple syrup, brown rice syrup, or agave syrup instead.
Vegan Honey Mustard Dressing
- 4 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons vegan honey or pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon vegan yogurt I use Forager brand cashew yogurt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Mix all ingredients together well.
- Taste and make adjustments if necessary.
If you tried this recipe let me know how you enjoyed it in the comments below!
Leave a Reply