Looking for something different to try for breakfast? If you love oatmeal but sometimes want something a little different, then you need to try quinoa porridge. You can dress it up in the same way, but the flavor and texture are different enough to give you a feeling of variety. It is delicious!
I love quinoa porridge because it has such a unique texture and a nutty flavor. When you combine it with a little sweetener and some plant-based milk, it is transformed into delicious warm-your-soul comfort food.
Oatmeal is amazing! And I hope you love it, but if you don’t, try using a different grain (or in this case seed) for your breakfast. Eventually, I am going to try them all, but quinoa was the first on my list because I always have it around!
The biggest trick I learned with quinoa is that you can’t skip rinsing it! If you rinse the quinoa well it changes the flavor completely. Do you ever feel like quinoa has a strong bitter flavor? Rinsing helps take care of that. I promise.
I like to cook the quinoa in the instant pot because it is so easy. But feel free to cook it on the stovetop if that is your jam. There is a great tutorial here. Top it with any toppings that you like. Here I used fresh blueberries and walnuts and I always pour extra milk on top (I forgot to pour the milk before I took the pictures.)
What type of toppings do you like to put on your porridge? Let me know in the comments!
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 1 cup almond milk
- pinch salt optional
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon optional
- ½ teaspoon vanilla optional
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup optional
- extra milk I always add extra milk after cooking!
- maple syrup or other sweetener
- fresh fruit
- dry fruit
- nut butter
- chocolate chips
- Rinse quinoa well.
- Add quinoa, milk, salt, and cinnamon to instant pot.
- Set instant pot to pressure cook on high for 1 minute.
- Once the instant pot is done cooking, allow it to naturally release the pressure for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Manually release the rest of the pressure and remove lid once the pin drops.
- Add in your sweetener and extra milk.
- Add whatever other toppings you would like.
- You can make a big batch of this on the weekends and heat it up throughout the week or eat it cold if that is your jam.
- You could also use leftover quinoa that has been cooked with water. Just heat it up in a ban with a little bit of milk and enjoy with your favorite toppings!