I blame this grapefruit pomegranate kale salad on the baby I am growing. A few months ago I started having intense pregnancy cravings for pomegranate seeds. My soon to be angel of a sister-in-law brought me some pomegranates from her tree in California and boy were they satisfying! After that, I started eating one every couple of days just by smacking all of the seeds into a bowl and eating them with a spoon. It was pure heaven.
In an attempt to vary my nutrition a bit more, I put together this grapefruit pomegranate kale salad which stars the pomegranate and a few of her closest friends: grapefruit, coconut, and pecans. You guys, it’s good. Make it. Eat it. Love it!
Let me know what you think about this recipe in the comments below!
Grapefruit Pomegranate Kale Salad
- 1 bunch kale
- 2 grapefruits sectioned save the juice
- 1 pomegranate deseeded
- 1.5 cup candied pecans
- 1/4 cup grapefruit juice
- 3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp cashew butter
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes
- 1 pkg fresh mint leaves about 3/4 cup packed
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Chop the kale into small pieces
- section the grapefruit and cut into desired size pieces. I cut mine down the middle and use a grapefruit spoon
- Deseed the pomegranate
- Blend dressing ingredients well in a blender until mint is well blended.
- Massage dressing ingredients into kale.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the salad.
- You can use any pomegranate juice you have leftover from deseeding your pomegranate in the dressing as well as the grapefruit juice. Just make sure it adds up to 1/4 cup.
- If your grapefruit is too tart, rest the sections in a bowl with a sprinkle of coconut sugar for a few minutes before you add them to the salad.