Sometimes, I want cake.
Sometimes, I want just a little cake.
Sometimes, I want cake fast.
Sometimes, when I use the word ‘sometimes,’ I am lying. But we don’t need to worry about that right now. Because we have a delicious oil-free mug cake that needs to be made. Like right now.
I usually mix everything together in a bowl. I don’t get as good results when I mix it in the mug. Then I transfer the mixture to a mug before I cook it. Or honestly, I cook it straight in the bowl. But if I am serving it to guests I will use a mug. It’s just easier to eat it with a handle. Plus there is the fun factor!
The secret to making this cake without eggs or oil is to use applesauce. It works like a charm.
I make my cakes with sprouted spelt flour, but you could use a gluten-free blend if that is your thing. Let me know how it goes if you do!
I usually top this with some homemade coconut whipped cream and raspberries. And now I am drooling. brb.
Chocolate Mug Cake - Vegan
- ¼ cup sprouted spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon cacao powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon plant milk I use almond milk but any will do
- 1 ½ tablespoon mashed banana or apple sauce
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- Mix ingredients together in a bowl.
- Transfer batter to a mug.
- Microwave for 1 minute and 45 seconds.
- I like to mix my ingredients in a bowl because I find that I can't ever get them to mix as well straight in a mug. You can also microwave your cake straight in the bowl if it is microwave proof. Less dishes!
- Microwaves vary. The instructions are based off of what works well with my microwave. If the time doesn't produce the best results for you, experiment until you find a time that works.
- This is delicious with some fresh berries or coconut cream (or both) on top!
Let me know how this turns out for you in the comments below!