My husband hates spaghetti.
Honestly, I don’t know what is wrong with him.
My kids though? It is in their top 3. So whenever he has to work late, we make spaghetti.
Usually, I just cook some noodles and warm up some red sauce. Because time and kids.
But sometimes I want something more. More bite. More texture. More flavor.
On those nights, I make lentil bolognese. And boy they are happy nights!
Lentil bolognese has an almost meaty texture because of the lentils, walnuts, and sun-dried tomatoes. You don’t want to skip out on any of these ingredients.
I like to use black lentils because I love their taste and how well they hold their texture. But I have made this recipe with french green, brown, and red lentils and it tasted great with each type. Use whatever you have on hand!
The best part of the sauce is the sun-dried tomatoes. You can buy them in oil or without oil. Either works great. I like to add them to the sauce when there are about 10 minutes left in the cooking time. If you don’t have any sun-dried tomatoes, don’t let that stop you from making this recipe! It will still turn out great.
Classic bolognese has celery, carrots, and onions in it. I don’t put celery in mine but if that is your jam you can easily add it. And the carrots? I usually grate them because it is faster and my kids like it better. You can also dice them without changing the flavor.
Now is the time for a very important question. Do you put your pasta into your sauce or do you put the sauce on top of your pasta? I like to add my sauce to my pasta. I know most people tell you to do it the other way. But I guess I’m just weird.
Now, go make some delicious sauce! Top it with vegan parmesan and olives and enjoy your night!
- 2 cups onions diced
- 1 carrot grated
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cans tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 cup dry lentils
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic or red-wine vinegar
- ½ cup plant based milk
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- fresh basil garnish
- Saute the onion, garlic, and carrot until fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste a saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except for the milk to the pan and cover.
- Cook until lentils are soft. Add more water if necessary.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes about half-way through.
- When lentils are soft, add the vinegar, milk, and black pepper. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve with noodles of choice.
- Garnish with fresh basil and enjoy!
türkçe dublaj says
This site really has all of the information I needed about this subject and didn at know who to ask. Nathaniel Stonge