Chickpea Lettuce Wraps
A great meatless substitute for your favorite Asian classic!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 carrot shredded
- 1 8 oz can water chestnuts roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can chickpeas
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 6 tablespoon coconut aminos see notes
- 1.5 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1.5 teaspoon sriracha optional
- 1.5 teaspoon peanut butter
- 1.5 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1.5 teaspoon red miso
- Lettuce See notes
- 2 green onions sliced, to serve on top
- sesame seeds to serve on top
Saute onion and garlic until fragrant.
Add the shredded carrot and saute for a couple minutes longer.
Season to taste.
Chop walnuts coarsely.
Mix sauce ingredients together and pour two-thirds over the onion and garlic mixture and heat through
Add the chickpeas and nuts to the pan and stir into the onions
Season to taste.
Roughly chop the water chestnuts and add to the mixture.
In a separate pan, heat the remaining sauce through to serve on the side.
Serve with the wedges of romaine lettuce.
- I love this recipe with coconut aminos. You can use soy sauce but the ratios will be different as it is much saltier.
- I usually serve this with romaine lettuce. You could also use butter lettuce or iceberg lettuce.
- You can use a food processor for everything to save on prep time. Don't overprices the beans or water chestnuts. Bigger chunks give the filling the perfect crunchy texture that will get lost if the pieces are too small. I only do one or two pulses in my food processor.
- You can use the beans whole or chop them up for a meat like consistency with the walnuts.